Our entry requirements are:
- GCSEs at grade C/grade 4 or above (or Level 2 qualification equivalent) in English Language and Mathematics, plus Science if you are applying for Primary.
- An honours degree at classification 2:2 or above (or equivalent) from a UK university:
- All subjects are acceptable;
- Third class degrees will be considered on an individual basis;
- If you are in your final year at University you should have a 2:2 or above as a predicted grade;
- A-Levels – your degree should be relevant to the subject you want to teach but if your degree is not directly related we will look at your A-level qualifications;
- Good literacy and numeracy skills (assessed at interview);
- Good subject knowledge (assessed at interview);
- A completed medical questionnaire;
- A current Enhanced DBS clearance by us which is subscribed to the Update Service.
Necessary School Experience
Whilst not compulsory, we recommend that you have some recent experience of working in a school (voluntarily or paid) so that you fully understand the expectations and demands of the role of a teacher. It would be beneficial for you to observe some teaching and learning in your chosen subject.
We would welcome school visits from potential applicants. Please visit this page and enter our postcode: “WF9 2UJ” to arrange your School Experience at Minsthorpe Community College.
We usually see candidates demonstrate the following in successful applications and interviews:
- A genuine desire to support young people and help them develop and succeed;
- Evidence of a commitment to and an understanding of a career in teaching;
- A proactive and reflective approach to their own development;
- The ability to relate to and engage with young people;
- A passion for their subject;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Effective communication skills including the ability to explain concepts clearly;
- Initiative, innovation and resilience.
£9150 with tax-free bursaries up to £32,000 available in some subjects!